I've got a lot to catch up on!
1. Cameron surprised me with tickets to the vocal point concert a couple weeks ago. (Vocal Point is BYU's national champion a cappella group. They're fantastic and I've been a big fan ever since my EFY counselor was part of it back when I was 16.) The concert was funny and really impressive. I highly recommend their next concert in March. :)
They sang songs like Grace Kelly, No Not Much, and an awesome Christmas Medley based around the 12 days of Christmas. Way WAY fun. i LOVE going to shows with Cam. :)
2. We headed home for Thanksgiving and a much needed break. We spent the day before cleaning and vacuuming the cars, buying water and snacks for the road, and getting ready for a stress free weekend.
By the way-Christmas Popcorn Tins are the #1 roadtrip food ever found. You get the sweet, salty, crunchy, and satisfying all in one festive container. :) mmm.
On the way down, we decided to change the wedding to a day earlier. This caused all sorts of emotional trauma and various freak outs mainly from yours truly. (I think my New Year's Resolution is to achieve emotional stability). FYI-The Wedding is Friday, January 2nd 2009 at 9:45 am in Mesa.
We made it to Flagstaff Tuesday night and slept in the next day. We got our wedding announcements printed and ready to send out (it was much more stressful than I make that sound, but if you look at the big picture, now it doesn't seem so bad...) We spent Thanksgiving with my family. My mom's birthday is on Thanksgiving so we stayed up late making a sign for her and getting the kitchen ready for a great day. It was really fun to see Cameron around my siblings helping them color and write notes to my mom. He's such a crack up!
Thanksgiving had some awesome food. :) a turkey from Jessica complete with maple butter and some awesome stuffing. Homemade gravy, pistachio salad-my favorite! and new birthday dishes that made a beautiful dinner. :)
I made an apple pie for my mom's birthday. Count your blessings Call family. :) No pie has ever turned out like the one I made for you a couple months ago! (remember...the one that caught on fire??)
Sidenote: At one of my bridal showers Sister Kitterman gave me this apple corer/slicer/peeler. It seriously cuts the time it takes to make a pie in half! Maybe I'll be able to perfect the whole pie thing now... :)
3. We discovered JT inherited my dad's hair.
4. Here's where things get interesting. I think I've been subconsciously avoiding blogging for a while because I didn't know if my emotional state could take remembering this...here goes! Me and Cameron left for Phoenix to go see his family Thursday night. We got a flat tire after about an hour of driving. I didn't have a wrench to get the lug nuts off so we spent an hour and a half flagging cars down to try and get some help. After one intense phone call with 911-a nice man and his daughter stopped to help us. And the cops showed up right on time-when everything had settled down and we were almost on our way. :)
(Cameron does know how to change a tire and was all ready to do so. I just didn't have the right tools to accomplish the job. I'm sure there's a Seminary object lesson in that sentence somewhere!)
5. We drove for about 40 more minutes when Lola (the car) decided she didn't want to drive anymore. Seriously. She just stopped. We made it to the side of the highway in Scottsdale, Cameron pushed us to the closest gas station and a variety of interesting people helped us. One guy helped us push the car the last 100 yards. I think the conversation went about like this.
Guy-(breathing hard) I'm out of shape!
Guy-Yeah! Pot does crazy things to you man...
Cam-I can only imagine...
6. The tow truck (graciously paid for by Wayne-Cam's dad) showed up and we had a great conversation with the driver about tattoos and prison (no, seriously-we did). We got to the mechanics at about 1am. It took us 7 hours to get from Flagstaff to Phoenix!
7. We woke up at 6:30 to be at the mechanics when they opened so we could get our car worked on as soon as possible. They said they'd take a look at it and give us a call with the details. About an hour and a half later they called with the damages...to the tune of $1200. My clutch had completely gone out. I'll spare you the details, but it was followed up with a phone call telling us the car wouldn't be ready for us to take back to UT by Sunday and Cameron's anatomy lab final was Monday morning at 9. YIKES! A few prayers and frantic plans later and the mechanics pulled a miracle for us. :) Meanwhile, me and Cameron developed an intense love affair with Lost. :)
8. All was well and Lola returned healthy and happy. :)
I'm just grateful we were able to keep laughing through all of it! (We also needed 2 new tires and a new headlight) it got to the point where I said, "Put it on my tab..." and Cameron just shrugged his shoulders and said, "Of course it does. Why wouldn't that need to be replaced too?" Keeping things positive, Cameron's still really REALLY cute and we got to make out while waiting for the tow truck :) we also got to eat some pretty awesome mexican food from El Rico's because our car wasn't quite ready yet. The ride back to UT was really quick compared to the Flag to Phoenix trip though. Lola drives great now!
We've decided we're buying a beta fish. Her name is going to be Lola.